Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Smoke Daddy B-B-Que, Clark's and 2 A.M home made Mac and Cheese

This past Sunday the 27th was an all around wonderful and lazy day. I got to sleep in with my loved one which is very rare, literally didn't even get out of bed until a little after noon. With a baby girl arriving in no more than a months time, I am going to cherish all those little moments while I can still get them! Anyway, we walked to a diner up the street called Clark's that is on Damen, they are open 24 hours and have a little bit of everything. All we really cared about was being able to have breakfast food even though we made no attempt to be awake during breakfast hours. We shared some pancakes and I got a skillet with potatoes, chicken and cheese. It was good, quick and cheap. Which sometimes is really all you need. ;) We came home and literally just lounged with our dogs for hours, watched Sunday programming on TV and really was just lazy. We decided to try a place called Bangers and Lace on Division that a friend of mine bartends at. Their menu is a lot of home made sausages and what seemed to  be really good bar food. We headed over and made it there a little after 10 P.M and they had already stopped serving food, so no Bangers and Lace for us. We did pass a BBQ joint walking to Bangers and Lace, so we looked at all of our options that were still open and serving food and settled for some BBQ. I had never eaten at Smoke Daddy's before, he had several times, one of which being when he first moved to the city almost 10 years ago. We shared their Jalapeno Beer Cheese for an appetizer, and it was really quite tasty. We both had a pretty big appetite for having only ate once earlier in the day, so having a cheese spread wasn't too filling, if you aren't terribly hungry I might not suggest it as a starter. I got the Pulled Pork Sandwich with Collard Greens and Mac and Cheese and he got a Half Slab with Collard Greens and Mac and Cheese. The sandwich was great, BBQ always seems to hit the spot. I will say this though, their Collard Greens and Mac and Cheese does not have Lillie's Q beat at all! Sorry Smoke Daddy, you are good, but you are not that good!! Either way if you like BBQ I would give it a thumbs up and say go check it out. I had to work Memorial Day, our kitchen was slammed as well so I didn't eat at work. Once home, I was complaining to the boyfriend about being hungry but not wanting to put forth the effort to actually make something. I was wishing for a box of Kraft mac and cheese to save the day but I didn't have any. He had the wonderful idea to make it home made and he would help if I taught him how. So, 2 A.M and we are standing in the kitchen making a roux, explaining how to make a textbook bechamel and both wondering how our leftover cheddar and american cheese slices leftover from a BBQ we had was going to work. Let me just say folks, it worked great. Some of the best mac and cheese I've had in a while! (I am eating the leftovers right now and I'm not usually big on re-heated mac and cheese.. so that says something!) So, needless to say, my holiday weekend was just wonderful! Couldn't have asked for a better, lazier, more stress free time!

No comments:

Post a Comment