Saturday, April 14, 2012

"Pulled Tofu" Sandwich w/ Moms Coleslaw, Maple Bacon Ice Cream & Homemade Gnocchi

   I've had an idea for a while to do like a pulled pork sandwich using Tofu instead. I am a carnivore all the way but I like to think of healthier options and options for people who are vegetarians that still will be tasty. I want to use a firm tofu and bake it with my BBQ Sauce recipe, which I will probably alter just a bit to make it a little more on the tangy/vinegary side instead of sweet. I will be topping it with a very delicious creamy coleslaw (moms recipe) which is more on the sweet than tangy side, so I'm expecting it to be a lovely compliment. I'm planning on just doing a very fine julienne cut on the tofu because I don't see it shredding the same as pork would. I do hope in the end, that the texture of the tofu works. This is something that I plan to have on my menu which I consider a fun vegetarian friendly option. I will be doing a trial run within the week, I would love feedback on the idea. 
  MAPLE BACON ICE CREAM is also on the to do list :) <3 Although it saddens me to say I won't be able to do more than literally just try it, I know a few loved ones that will be more than happy to be my guinea pigs and take it off my hands. I got a ice cream maker not too long ago and I love it! Can't wait til I don't have to watch my blood sugar levels so I can enjoy it more. The last ice cream batch I made was a bleu cheese and candied pecan ice cream which was out of this world!! I would advise anyone to give it a shot if you enjoy making ice cream, I made a pear creme brulee to serve with the bleu cheese ice cream and together it worked very well. 
   Next... Home made Gnocchi :) The last Chef I had in my Catering and Buffet class loved to make Gnocchi and was a master at it, I mean he could bang those out like crazy and they were so delicious. I have plenty of potatoes that I need to put to use so I want to get some practice in on my Gnocchi making. I will probably make a very simple Gnocchi in brown butter with parmesan cheese and maybe some basil. AND those are the things I want to make within the next week. I'm sure I'll be making other things as well, but those I really want to spend some time on perfect them. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment