Thursday, April 12, 2012

My New Dietary Guidelines, A BIG LONG TO DO LIST and Arturo's Tacos

At my last doctors appointment I had to have about four hours of blood tests done where they would do draws every hour on the hour to test my blood sugar levels. It was not a fun doctors appointment to say the least, I had to fast for 8 hours prior and then couldn't eat or drink anything (including water) during the four hours, except for one glucose drink they gave me which had something to do with the test. That one drink tasted pretty awful as well. Long story short, I tested positive for gestational diabetes. It really freaked me out when they first called me and told me being that diabetes in any form is never something I had to deal with. I feel much better about it now, more than likely it will even itself out after the baby comes and I'll just have to be very mindful of my diet and get some regular exercise. All things I should probably be doing anyway, but I usually tend to take the "I'll just relax" approach. After school I came home and met my friend Sam at my place and made a us a nice lunch. We had roasted fingerling potatoes (potatoes are one thing I have to cut back on but I already had these so decided to get rid of them and have someone help me eat them ;) ) tomatoes with fresh garlic, salt, pepper and sour cream and I sauteed some stew meat with some red and green bell peppers. Although it seemed like an altogether healthy meal, it was still a little out of my new "guidelines". I have some work cut out for me to stay within the lines and keep me and this babe healthy. 
    My to do list is not a very exciting topic, but it does have some important things on it :) I have to buy a new chef coat for an upcoming stage, I need to buy a little bit bigger one so I don't look too pregnant! Also "hearing" myself say that is kind of funny. I have to drop some resumes off, fill out a few online applications and put together some questions for an event called "My Eats My Streets" where there will be a symposium on the current food truck laws in the city of Chicago along with many other current issues involving the food truck business. There will also be about 20 local trucks there to serve lunch which I am really excited for! I also want to drop off some baby shower invitations at the post office, jog/run the dogs for at least 20 minutes and still have some energy to be up past 9 p.m tomorrow. Over all today was a great day, my best friend Emily was in the city watching a Golden Gloves boxing tournament and offered to take me out to eat Mexican food (one of favorites just so you know). Chicken enchiladas, had a little salad, took it easy on the rice intake, and enjoyed great company and great food. Arturo's Tacos is a 24 hour place on the corner of Armitage and Western, nothing fancy, nothing mind blowing and is the first in line of about three mexican places on the same street. It just happens to be my favorite. I used to work at a bar around the corner from there and would stop in after my shift for tacos on a regular basis. If you haven't been I would say go, it's good food, not expensive and usually some characters in there. The service is not usually warm and friendly but I don't really care when it comes to there, I'm not going to be wowed by service, more just my very much needed mexican food fix. :) For today that is all, but it's going to be a busy weekend, and hopefully there will be some amazing  food trucks to blog about!!  arturos-tacos.com ;  MY STREETS MY EATS

No comments:

Post a Comment